Back-up rolls / Work rolls / Ingot
||Key Facilities - Ingot:
- 100 tonne Birlec Electric Arc Furnace (EAF) equipped with Sliding Gate Tap Hole (for slag free tapping)
- 100 tonne Finkl Vacuum Argon Degassing Unit (VAD)
- 90 tonne Vacuum Oxygen Decarburising Unit (VOD)
- Vacuum Tanks for stream degassing ingots up to 285 tonnes
- Casting bay with shallow pit, deep pit, air cast and argon shroud facilities
- Hot Boxes, fully insulated for slow cooling ingots after teeming
- Annealing furnaces for annealing of ingots
• Back-up rolls
- Production of forged steel back up rolls ranging from 5 to 170 tonnes finished weight.
- Leading supplier of rolls for use in ferrous and non ferrous applications; both hot and cold rolling.
- Typical roll materials are 3%, 4% and 5% CrMoV steels. These are differentially or conventionally hardened and supplied in the turned and finish ground condition.
- Neck rings and bearing sleeves can be fitted where required.
- Production of back up rolls with a maximum barrel diameter of 2.2 metres and a maximum overall length of 20 metres can be achieved.
- Tandem mill rolls can be produced up to a maximum weight of 60 tonnes. The maximum finished weight limit for plate mill rolls is 170 tonnes.
- Tandem mill back-up roll can be supplied with barrel hardness levels within the range 55 to 75 Shore C. Surface hardness is constant throughout the working life of the roll.
- Plate mill back-up roll can be supplied with barrel hardness levels within the range 50 to 55 Shore C. Surface hardness is constant throughout the working life of the roll.
- The tempered bainitic shell on Selas treated tandem mill back-up rolls offers high wear resistance with the pearlitic core giving improved ductility.
• Work rolls
- Work rolls are supplied finish machined and hardened to customer specification.
- Rolls can be manufactured in 3-5%Cr in both ESR and air-melt qualities.
- Work rolls are hardened on a computer controlled progressive dual frequency induction hardening machine. This provides accurate control over the hardening process resulting in consistent hardness profiles from roll to roll.
- Sub-zero cryogenic treatment completes the hardening process maximising the depth of hardness and reducing retained austenite to minimum levels.
- A full range of ancillary services is available such as roll re-hardening, conversion and renovation.
- An after sales service is provided to ensure customers maximise productivity from back up and work rolls.
- Work, intermediate and small back-up rolls up to 12 Tonnes finished weight are produced in a dedicated manufacturing facility.
- Work rolls with up to 100mm working life on diameter can be supplied.
- Post forge heat treatment ensures maximum texturing response for all known texturing processes.
- Rolls up to 12 tonnes can be supplied with a maximum diameter of 860mm and a maximum overall length of 5350mm.